Everyone loves a good bowl of chili! This is my go-to chili recipe that is perfect for a cool October weekend. This time I spiced it up by making some homemade healthy Cornbread Muffins to go along with it. What a great combo!
- 1 1/5 cups unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 1/5 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3 tablespoons Stevia/Truvia or cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 425 F. Spay muffin tins with nonstick spray.
In a small bowl, combine almond milk and vinegar, set aside.
Mix the cornmeal, brown rice flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Add the milk and vinegar to the mixture, then the oil. Stir until blended. Fill the muffin tins and bake until tops are golden brown, about 15-18 minutes.
Michelle’s Healthy Turkey Chili
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup of diced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced red & green pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 jar of tomato sauce, low sodium and sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned mixed beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of honey or agave (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey in the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion,mushrooms, peppers and cook until tender.
Pour water into the pot. Mix in tomatoes, tomato sauce, mixed beans, and garlic. Add chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, honey/agave, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30-40 minutes.