Here is another Christmas treat for the Christmas Cookie Countdown! I make Date Squares every Christmas…they are so delicious. This recipe is gluten free and much healthier than most recipes you will come across. 🙂
- 3 cups pitted dates
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups Gluten Free old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup Brown Rice Flour or any Gluten Free flour of your choice
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup raw organic brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegan/organic butter, or coconut oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine oats, brown rice flour, brown sugar/coconut sugar, coconut, pecans, cinnamon and baking soda. Mix in the butter/coconut oil until crumbly. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch square baking pan (make sure you spray the pan with coconut oil spray/Pam ).
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the dates and water. Bring to a boil, and cook until thickened. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla and remove from heat. Mash out any lumps with a fork. Let it cool slightly and spread the filling over the base, and pat the remaining crumb mixture on top.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven and cool completely before cutting into squares.