These Carrot Cake Cupcakes are a great treat for Easter or any occasion! I made these last year in Nashville and they were a hit. I am hosting Easter dinner at our house this weekend and made these along with my Berry Crisp (Brian’s fav). Thought I’d make a couple dessert’s considering I have a few huge, hungry hockey players joining us.
For this recipe the frosting is completely optional…but what is a cupcake without frosting?! 😉 Hope everyone enjoys their Easter weekend!
Healthy Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or organic brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 large cage free eggs
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots (about 2 medium carrots, peeled)
- 1/3 cup natural applesauce
- 1/3 cup of crushed pineapple
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- 1/4 cup of shredded coconut
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
Sift together the flours, baking soda and cinnamon. In another large bowl beat together the coconut oil, eggs, vanilla and sugar until well combined. Add the carrots, applesauce and pineapple. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in the walnuts, raisins and coconut.
Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Optional Frosting: With an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and lemon zest until smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with shredded coconut. I also topped mine with Cadbury Mini Eggs. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.